What has oftentimes been seen during promotions for genetically modified foods are the many advantages of having them around. What has not been disclosed, however, are the many disadvantages that come with the proliferation of such products. On the top of the list are ge health risks that are now slowly being discovered that are related to the production as well as consumption of genetically altered foods.
GE health risks range from possible allergies to more complex diseases such as cancer and even death. Clearly, many researches and explanations have to be done before the general public can fully accept the idea of having genetically altered products in their daily lives.
Learn What Even Scientists Have To Say About The Dangers With Genetic Engineering In Humans
Admittedly, some intentions behind the use of genetic engineering are indeed noble. Many scientists believe that genetic engineering serves as a key to problems such as food shortages and these may even solve environmental problems brought about by the continuous use of pesticides and other harmful chemicals. What they fail to mention though is that in the long run, some dangers of genetic engineering may result in health disasters as well.
- The introduction of new allergens to individuals is one highly possible health risk. Transgenic crops used for the production of genetically modified foods bring about new genes not normally found in traditional crops. These new genes may contain allergens previously thought to be present only in certain types of crops being introduced in the genetically altered crop.
- Antibiotics are used in genetic engineering as a means of identifying certain genes in certain plants. However, these genes can be identified only if they are resistant to certain antibiotics. Therefore, the introduction of these genes which now harbor antibiotic resistance may be introduced into the food supply which can ultimately lead to antibiotic resistance in humans as well.
- A German professor, Walter Doerfler, has already shown the possibility of introducing viruses into humans via transgenic crops. Certain forms of viruses are used as carriers of specific genes as they are transferred from one crop to another which can ultimately lead to a transfer into the human body as well.
- In mouse experiments, liver changes have already been noted in those fed with GE foods. The same result is highly possible in humans as well.
- Amongst all the possible dangers of genetic engineering, the possibility of deaths as a result of genetically modified food products have already been noted in 1989 when genetically altered food supplements involving L-tryptophan have been taken by many individuals.
There Are Some Major GMO Safety Concerns
Amongst the many GMO safety concerns not only by consumers but by scientists as well is the fact that tampering with the genome of a certain organism is something that is highly unpredictable. The introduction of new genes into an organism and the different possible reactions may have long-term effects that may be deemed irreversible. Other GMO safety concerns lie in the fact that new diseases, the revival of old ones as well as the discovery of superbugs may indirectly be a result of genetically modified foods being forced onto the general public as an alternative to traditional organic food which have been tried and tested through the years.