There are many GMO cons that you should be aware and be able to protect yourself from. You should familiarize yourself with the common applications of genetic engineering and the genetically engineered foods available in the market.
- ● Whenever you are going shopping carry a non-GMO shopping list to help you purchase safe foods. You can have handy internet shopping lists. This will enable you settle for organic and natural foods that do not contain GM components.
- ● Watch out for GMO labels and go for the non-GMO labels. Some producers would want to tell you that their products are GM hence they label them “high risk substances”.
- ● Purchase meat and dairy products then from animals that are purely grass-fed. Most dairy animals feed on grass entirely but, their last phase is characterized by excessive GMO corn feeding to increase intramuscular fat and marbling. Better still go vegetarian to avoid the effects of animal products.
- ● Keep off foods that claim to have high risk ingredients such as corn, soy, canola, cotton, margarine, sugar beets, papayas, vegetables, and artificial sweeteners. This is for the best of your health and longevity.
- ● If possible grow your own foods in your garden or shop locally to enable you question the source of the foods and ascertain that they are not genetically engineered.
Should We Trust Reports Of The Advantages And Disadvantages Of GMO?
The question of trusting reports on advantages and disadvantages of GMO products is subjective. The Genetically engineered products are both beneficial and the harmful but the good has been overshadowed by the dangerous effects. Some biotech firms and scientists would want to promote their products thus will only highlight on the positive effects without respect to the negative effects. Therefore, their reports tend to be skewed to the positive side. Conservative Critics on the other hand will go at all lengths to query the credibility of GMOS and the positive reports.
Some critics go to the extent of performing experiments using the GMOS hence exposing the flaws of the GMOS. An experiment conducted where mice fed on GMO potatoes attested that the mice fed more but didn’t get significant weight increase. The experiment was performed by a teenage boy thus putting the scientists to shame! The bottom line is that the genetic engineering dangers are imminent compared to the advantages thus we shouldn’t fully rely on everyone’s report on advantages and of GMOS.
Experts Have List Of GMO Health Risks
With the increase in GMO safety concerns, experts worldwide have come up with various lists of GMO health risks. These include: cancer viral and bacterial diseases, birth defects, shorter life spans, lowered nutrition, allergies, antibiotic-resistance suppressions, nutritional complications and rare case of deaths. When consuming any food you should be aware of any GMO health risks you could get exposed to.